dimanche 12 octobre 2008

Solid Kimball, Roger that

A man not shaken


excerpt:

The question I have most often been asked the past few weeks is whether I stand by my prediction that John McCain would win in November. Way back in ancient times, that is, toward the end of August, 2008, I said that “Personally, I think John McCain is going to win, and I’m not talking about a hanging-chad squeakeroo. No, I think it will be a blow-out for McCain.” Interlocutors both anxious and gleeful have lined up to ask: Do I continue, after all we’ve been through these past weeks–the economy, the Palin-Katie Couric train wreck, the lackluster second debate, the economy, the economy, the economy–do I still believe that McCain has any chance of winning, let alone winning by a landslide?

I admit that my confidence has been dented. But it has by no means evaporated. “What? Have you looked at the polls?” Frankly, I feel about polls the way Disraeli (I think it was) felt about statistics: there are, he said, lies, damned lies, and statistics. Like everyone else, I am more inclined to believe them when they support an outcome I favor. Otherwise, I accord them the large measure of scepticism they deserve. Bottom line: I still believe John McCain will win, and I’ll say why in a moment.
--
While some/many conservatives pander to what they perceive as majority opinion (or lick the media's shoes), others jump ship by distancing themselves from McCain or Palin, or both. In times of distress, watch who are your friends. In times of confusion, retain a cool mind. But what is the distress? Biased polls of 4-6% difference? The confusion, btw., is among those who do not discern that which is obvious: Bamnation is lurking around the corner. Two of the stronger characters are Hanson and Kimball.

Aucun commentaire: